Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New to the Garden

So, the cucumbers have become a problem. We have wanted to get some kind arch trellis going. Lowes has them for $59-$160. Needless to say, we decided to fashion one ourselves. With my idea and Dale's expertise, we came up with something really cool (hopefully it works).We took some fence posts and drove them into the ground, then attached a fencing material to them. Then we connected the other end to our extra piece of "hog fence" that is resting along side the fence - as you can see in the picture below.We had to make 2 arches because we have 2 cucumbers along the fence line. This is a shorter version of what we made. We didn't arch this because their wasn't a fence close enough to attach this to. We figure the cucumber can just vine it's way up and down this post.My zucchini is looking kind of pathetic lately.We relocated our strawberries into round pots so that they can have more room to grow. These pots used to have Bell Peppers in them, but they were in some poor soil and weren't doing so good. So, we relocated them in the compost pile.Clara has lots of fun being outside, playing in the water.As you can tell by the "dirt circles" on the ground, we've done some rearranging. We have had to "thin stuff out" lately. All the stuff that wasn't doing so good, we gotten rid of. I also had to go through my densely planted tomatoes and trim them up. My marigolds also got thinned out as well. It's a good thing my neighbor's favorite flower is a marigold. I gave her a few.
Overall, our garden is still getting bigger. The tomatoes are now up to my shoulders. I am so excited to see how many we get this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment